Merchant acceptance criteria
Omise aims to accept all merchants we are allowed to. However not all goods, services, business activities, business relationships and business practices are permitted by law or our financial partners. Furthermore some businesses expose us to risks we are unable to accept.
Please verify from the sections below how we may serve and accept your business. If you are unsure don't hesitate to contact us.
This document is an official Omise policy. Omise has the right to update it when necessary and will contact merchants where the change impacts our ability to provide our services. This policy is not conclusive as we may require to reject merchants for reasons not mentioned here.
1. Prohibited goods, services, business activities or business practices
By registering, the Merchant is confirming not to use the Service to accept payments in connection with the following businesses, business activities or business practices. Note the types of businesses listed below are representative, but not exhaustive. If the Merchant is uncertain as to whether their business is Prohibited, or have questions about how these requirements apply to the Merchant, please contact us.
1.1 Restricted by local law or regulation
Adult or related products or services
Note: Retailers of lingerie are not explicitly classified as unacceptable.
- All sexually-orientated or pornographic merchants
- Adult telephone or internet conversations/chat
- Massage parlors
- Adult book stores
- Topless bars/clubs
- Adult entertainment
- Dating services (adult and non-adult)
- Companion/Escort Services (adult and non-adult)
- Modeling Agencies (adult and non-adult)
Firearms and weapons of all kinds
|Medical, drugs and pharmaceuticals
- Surrogacy services
- Tobacco and e-cigarette
- Illegal drugs
- Any equipment designed for making or using drugs, such as bongs, vaporizers etc.
- Gambling tools, services, lottery, lucky draws etc.
- Protected plants, animals etc.
- Rare and preserved animals
- Archaeological and cultural relics
- Protected religious items
- Sale of ads for any products or services deemed illegal
- Funding of crypto currencies, ICOs
- Trading or sales of crypto currencies
- For businesses owned by foreigners, we can only accept company registrations, not individuals.
|Misrepresent company location
- Providing a business in one country while claiming to your customer that you are selling from a different country.
- Creating a shell company to resell services in one country but operating the service from another.
- Selling services at your facilities outside the country you register with us.
1.2 Restricted due to being dangerous, deceptive, predatory, unfair or unethical
|Counterfeit and unauthorized goods
- Counterfeit or imitation products or services
- Selling copyrighted products, services or software without permission
- Selling of goods smuggled or otherwise acquired illegally
- Selling of secrets and confidential information
- Selling information that infringes on others' privacy
|Predatory or making false promises
- Any merchant offering a negative renewal option following a free or low-cost purchase
- Fortune tellers, palm readers, and tarot readers
- Free gift, prize, sweepstake or the winning of a contest as an inducement to purchase a product or service
- Credit repair, protection or restoration
- Mortgage or loan reduction, modification, protection or guarantee services.
- “Get rich quick” schemes
- Real estate or investment seminars whose main goal is to persuade the customer to buy specific products or services.
- Expensive Amulet or similar lucky charms
- Merchants involved with hate, violence, or Human Trafficking
|Extortion/Pay to remove
- Pay to remove or pay to not publish services
- Ransom payments
|Social Media Activity
- Sale of Twitter followers, Facebook likes, YouTube views, and other forms of social media activity and
- Malware and vulnerabilities
- Shipping of living animals
- International shipping of hazardous chemicals are not permitted, local delivery may be restricted according to local laws.
- Strong hazardous chemicals that are prohibited by law.
|Pseudo-pharmaceuticals (with implied guarantees)
Note: Where no guarantee is implied, such businesses are not explicitly classified as unacceptable.
- Anti-aging pills
- Sex nutrients, vitamins
- Weight loss products etc.
1.3 Restricted due to high risk of money laundering and criminal activities
Note: We may offer solutions for enterprise payment aggregators. Please contact sales for more information.
- Providing payment channel for a third party merchant that is not known to or in direct contract with Omise
- Merchant providing service to obfuscate the origin of funds or origin of sellers
- Merchant offering goods for sale, or order taking, on behalf of one or more 3rd party companies without
disclosing them to Omise and the customers
- Debt consolidation, Cash advances or Bail bondsmen
- Money transfer services, Cash gifting, Donations or Check Cashing
- Pyramid schemes, illegal multi-level marketing, Ponzi schemes and similar
- Gold futures, stock, securities
- Financial products, foreign currency exchange
|Products or services without value
- Products or services where it is not possible for us to see any value in it
|High fraud risk businesses
- Remote digital unrestricted file-sharing services where uploaded content is accessible to the public or the service pays uploaders for content (Cyberlocker)
- Video game or virtual world credits
- Private detectives or bodyguard services
1.4 Restricted due to Omise terms and conditions
|Intercepting and sharing payment card information
Note: We may offer solutions for Kiosks or hardware based deployments using different means than e-commerce.
Pleases contact sales for more information.
- Card/payment information entered manually by merchant
- Sharing cardholder information with another merchant
- Storing, transmitting or processing payment card data without being compliant and certified to PCI-DSS.
- Having customers pay on Kiosks or shared computers. e-commerce Payment has to be initiated on the customer's
personal phone or computer.
|Abusing payment networks
- Evasion of card network chargeback monitoring programs;
- Card testing
Regulated goods and services
There are goods and services which are allowed to be sold however any merchant doing so needs to provide the relevant license(s) when registering for a live account.
Many markets are regulated and by law we can only accept merchants with valid licenses for these markets. This includes:
- Hygiene, food and drug-related licenses for business in food drug and cosmetic industries
- License for restaurant operations
- Hotel license
- Spa provider license
- Tour operator licenses
- Licenses for transportation services
- Proof that you are allowed to resell third party brand products (or proof that they are second hand)
- Proof that you are allowed to provide medical services
- Insurance license or related when providing insurance or financial services.
- For specialist professional services such as Lawyer or Architects, proof that you are registered.
- License for providers of multi-level-marketing schemes
- Registration records for charities